Friday, March 30, 2018

Family Business....HELP!


My father began a business way before I was born. I worked in the business as the assistant office manager while in high school, and eventually took over as office manager. My husband and I had a baby in 2016 and we decided I would be a stay at home mom. Cool, no problem. I trained my little brother to be office manager / runner of all things business (my dad was / is very ill and unable to come in most days).I moved on with my life. I started a home business of my own this January doing what I love while staying at home with my little one (now almost 2). My husband just accepted an AMAZING job 800 miles away, and we are preparing to put our house on the market and move (once our 6 year old finishes the school year).Earlier this year my brother became very ill and will most likely never be able to work again. It's very sad, seeing as he is young, and it breaks my heart for him. He has a huge support system here and will never not have a place to live, doctor's care, and emotional support. It just really sucks. My dad called me earlier this week and has asked if I can come back to work / run the company for him. Apparently he had not gotten my messages telling him of my husband's new job and our move. He is sick and rarely answers his phone / responds to texts. Once I told him we were moving, he asked if I could just come in and do the work until we leave (8-12 weeks), and train a new office manager in that time.I want to help my dad. I've been at the office every day since then trying to sort through the mounds and mounds of unprocessed paperwork (bills, checks, work orders, product orders, applications, etc..). I've made interview appointments for every hour next week trying to find a new office / business manager.My problems are that; 1) I have my own business, which I am now trying to work around me being at his office from 8 in the morning until 5 at night, which is hard considering all of my inventory is at my house an hour away. When inventory sells I have to pick, pack, and ship it. I also don't have the ability to procure any new inventory, since that usually takes between 10-15 hours per week, which means once I sell the inventory I have, I won't be able to make any more money. 2) I now have no time to purge and pack my house for this move, or get it show ready for realtors when showings come up. 3) I will not be getting paid for this.Right now my husband is home until we move for his job, but I don't expect him to run my business or purge and pack our house while at home with a toddler.I love my dad, but I do not love the family business and I have NO idea how this is going to work with someone who isn't ready to devote all of their time to the business because he can't anymore. When I worked there full time I was at work by 6:30 in the morning and left between 5 and 6. I took phone calls 24/7 and did so many things that I always had a headache. I don't want anyone else to work like I did, because no one would last long.My dad cannot / will not close the business as he has no other income. That's a whole different story not for this sub.I don't even know where to go from here. Help? via /r/business https://ift.tt/2Ig0VH3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

That postcard in the mail about money from a Premera Blue Cross breach settlement is real

If you got a postcard in the mail saying you have money coming from Premera Blue Cross, don't throw it away. It's not junk mail and...

Popular Posts